Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 hr 30 min
- 1½ cups full-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 600gchicken thighs, on the bone
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 tsp neutral oil, like vegetable oil
- 2 medium-size onions, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely diced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, diced
- 2 red chillies, seeded and diced
- Salt to taste
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- 1½ cups cream
- 1½ tsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp ground or finely chopped almonds
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves
Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala and cumin in a large bowl. Put the chicken in, and coat with the marinade. Cover, and refrigerate (for up to a day).
In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter in the oil until it starts to foam. Add onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, and cook until the onions start to brown.Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chillies and salt, and cook until the chillies are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and marinade to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes.Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil.Simmer on low flame, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes.
Stir in the cream and tomato paste, and simmer for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Add almonds, and cook for 5 minutes more, and remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Your yummy Butter Chicken is ready to serve!